Day 1 continued

The footpath was quite wide and sandy. At the beginning you could opt for the  ‘beech’ but it was shingle and not easy under foot.  The path option was preferred.  We walked under the bridge, with the thud of cars overhead, and soon came across an old chalk mill ………

Chalk is a key component of the wolds and has contributed to the landscape and what the land can be used for. Some of the oldest cultivated land in Britain is to be found here.   Water drains through chalk so the land quickly dries after rain and is never wet for very long. A great attraction for those early farmers!

It is chalk I think that also gives rise to the frequent evidence of ‘sweet betsy’ flowers along the edge of the path.  These were reminiscent of times spent playing as a child in the chalk pits of Kent. Apparently the chalk of the wolds here is from the same band of chalk that is evident in  Kent and makes the white cliffs of Dover  …….

As we continued along the path with the water lapping over the rocks to our left and trains passing just a couple of hundred yards away to our right, we came to North Ferriby, famous (well famous around here!?!) for the discovery of Bronze Age boats found buried in the muddy foreshore.  Apparently there were three of them and they are regarded as one of the most significant archaeological finds in Britain. You just never know what you are going to come across on these outings!

Following a brief conversation with one of the natives, we decided not to run the risk of being caught by the tide just along from this point so we turned inland.  We were soon to take in the wealth of the area,  passing huge houses with beautifully manicured gardens.  We soon reached a major road junction and having safely reached the other side it was into woodland as we struck out away from the Humber for a while.  Shortly after entering the wood our route started to gently rise.  Having left the Terrace Plantation we were into the neat grounds of the North Hull Scout Camp and then past a quarry, and along another plantation of trees. Occasionally there were sightings to our left of the broad Humber River continuing to track our path several miles away.  Our route skirted the edge of Welton village which we were tantalisingly told was the ‘prettiest’ Wold village (we will never know!) and we set out along the Welton Dale. Here there was a bank of trees to our left but to the right the trees cleared and a steep escarpment of grass accompanied us for probably half a mile. 

After crossing a narrow lane, a beautiful ivy covered house appeared on the horizon. This proved to be Wauldby Manor Farm, an extremely grand establishment.  We had promised ourselves our snack at Turtle Hill – only to find a group of about 20 young people munching on their sandwiches on the exact spot we had highlighted for our break.  I thought K stepped over them a little grudgingly……   They weren’t to know!  We settled for a quick munch by a gate at the end of the footpath just prior to walking along the lane towards Brantingham.  

It started to rain as we set off again in a way that you knew it was set in for the day.  Nonetheless it was a lovely walk.  The lane eventually turned back into a footpath lined with dog roses and elder flowers.  The hedgerows have definitely changed garb from our walks earlier in the year.  Only the cow parsley continues to wave in the wind.  

We probably got to see a little more of Brantingham than we should have (we missed the turn to the church) but it was worth it to see a little of the lovely old village houses.  The church was lovely too, despite the rain ……

We also took the opportunity to inspect a sheep bath that was close to the churn.  All very interesting.  Apparently the sheep were washed by hand and then went under a pole which made them duck under the water for a rinse!  
It was not far from here that the road started to descend into the South Cave valley – our stopping point for the night.  Our initial instruction of waiting in the pub to be collected and being taken to our accommodation was somewhat thwarted by the pub not being open and no telephone signal from the cafe next door.  However, I was able to observe the jolly hen party taking place in the tea room while Keith went out into the street to get a signal.  The bride-to-be certainly did not hold back on the cake!! 

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s