Thursday 16th March

It was quite chilly when we woke up, but a lovely sunny morning.
  We had breakfast, with the support of the local ducks, and packed up.  We were off to Pembeton. Pemberton lies inland in a heavily forested area. Our route, as always was on an excellent road, with little traffic, although we saw more road trains than we have before on this visit.  We also saw our first dead kangaroo on the road for this trip. One always hopes that they are killed immediately. Having said this, it was a large beast – I am not sure what damage it would have done to the vehicle that hit it. 

It took a couple of hours to get to Pemberton, situated in a valley in the spectacular kerri forests. Kerri trees are exceptionally tall and this place is full of them.  First stop, as always was the tourist office where the lady was ultra efficient and we came away with so many maps, brochures and ideas of what to do that we were somewhat overwhelmed.  We could never do it all in 8 weeks let alone the eight days we have left to travel, but we felt obliged to rush off and make a start!  Next stop was the caravan site in the edge of town. This actually on the famous Bibbulman Track that runs from the outskirts of Perth to Albany, the furthest point east that we are heading.  The 964 km track looks really good, but not for us on this occasion, although we do hope to do bits of it over the next few days. 

In fact, after lunch we set off to walk to the Gloucester Tree.   Our walk took us up through the town and out the other side.  All on the Bibbulman Track (known as the Bibb Track here) and clearly signposted by the Waugul, or rainbow serpent, markers.  It was a warm afternoon and our outward journey was nearly all uphill – never mind, downhill coming back!  Initially we walked along roads,  but after a couple of kilometres we moved off on to a track through woodland.  

The trees soared above us.  We eventually came to a clearing and there was the Gloucester Tree, named after the Duke of Gloucester. It is 53 metres high and 24 ft round.

  It has stakes all the way up to enable you to climb to the look out platform at the top, previously used by fire watchers who would take turns to sit in the top of the tree throughout the summer to watch for fires.  These days fire watching is done by ‘plane, but in the past it was a very important job.  I was amused by the person specification on the notice board……..

I am glad they were required to be sober!

While we were there several people climbed to the top but both Keith and I were happy to watch from the bottom…..  it looked terrifying!

This is different bird country!  Having said this, kookaburras chuckled and cackled around about us but a much more red parrot than we have seen this trip happily sat and let us photograph him. 

There were the usual ring necked lorikeets (we think) hopping around the table where a young couple were eating food.  Other birds we did not recognise bobbed in and out of the undergrowth. 

We wandered back.  It was hot and the sun was quite intense.  We eventually got back to our campsite and had some down time before sampling the showering facilities. We had bought some fish before we left Augusta and Keith made a great shakshuka which we washed down with a nice glass of red wine purchased at the Red Gate vineyard in Margaret River.

And so to bed. 

3 thoughts on “Thursday 16th March”

  1. My guesses: The red parrot = Western Rosella; the ring neck = Twenty-eight Parrot (a sub-species of the Australian Ringneck).


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s